This is gonna be a tough one to write; not so much because of myself, but more so for Fefe. But she felt it was necessary, as did I, that we spread the word and express some valuable information regarding the IUD & pregnancy, that we’ve come across by being put in a not so ideal situation. In short, for those of you that found this post specifically for that information: yes, you can become pregnant with an IUD inserted AND yes, it can produce false negative results for your pregnancy test!!! Now if you’d like to learn more read on, if not, I hope the information serves you well. For my regular readers, don’t fret, there is a good story to be told here and although it is a difficult subject, I tried to make it somewhat entertaining. So here we go.
Fefe’s body and contraceptives have had a long going feud for the past few years. Maybe I shouldn’t say feud, maybe I should just say “misunderstanding”. It’s like they can play nice together for a year or two and then they get into an argument or something and all hell breaks loose, with the outcome being a brand new unplanned bundle of joy. In the past, this massive “misunderstanding” between Fefe’s body and the contraceptives has happened not once (Ty), but twice (Tre). Each time while using a different method that was supposedly 99.9999999% effective. Okay, maybe not that many 9’s but still, you get the point. How could something that is supposed to be so good at its job screw up two times in a row? I thought lightning didn’t strike twice. Well apparently it can strike twice, and can also strike a third time as well!
A little over 5 years ago, Fefe was on the patch (Ortho Evra) and things were peachy. That is until one day when she went to get a prescription refill. Before the good doctors refill your prescription, they administer a pregnancy test to ensure that you aren’t pregnant. That’s because contraceptives and pregnancy are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum and don’t play to nice together. Well low and behold, the test came back positive and after the shock and confusion dissipated, plans for a new baby were being made. Now I’m going to be honest, I truly thought that Fefe just screwed up somehow, that she didn’t put the patch on correctly, or forgot to take it off one week, I didn’t know what, but I knew it was her fault. I mean come on, the thing is 99% effective “when used correctly” so what were the chances that she was in the 1%? It had to be the “when used correctly” part that got her right? Well it took another “misunderstanding” to occur for me to find out that I was wrong, she truly was in the 1%.
After the patch mishap, it was decided that maybe the shot (Depo Provera) would probably be more suitable. No user error involved, it lasts for 3 months, and it’s 99.7% effective. I was able to come to grips with the fact that maybe we were actually 1 percenters, but there was no way in the world that we could be 0.3 percenters right? Wrong again, after a few years during one of those routine visits to get the shot administered, a pregnancy test was given and the results once again came back positive. Now we’re both sitting here like WTF, seriously, like what are the odds? Really, I’m asking you, what the odds are because I can’t figure them out; I need a statistician to help me. Well anyway, Tre was born and we were just relieved that both he and Ty were born healthy and fully functional, because I do know the odds of having healthy babies that were conceived in the presence of birth control aren’t always favorable.
Well that’s where the fairy tale ends and things start to go down hill. After Tre was born, we ONCE AGAIN put our faith into contraceptives. Silly us right, fool me once shame on you, ah forget it, you all know the saying. So anyways, we decide this time to use the Mirena IUD, it’s again 99% effective and lasts for up to 5 years without any maintenance. Also, it’s an actual device that is inserted inside to prevent pregnancy, unlike the patch and the shot which were hormonal only, so we figured it’d be something different that would actually work this time. WRONG WRONG WRONG! It worked for almost two years and then that “misunderstanding” between Fefe’s body and the contraceptives occurred again. Only this time, it wasn’t simply a misunderstanding; it was something much more serious.
About a month ago, Fefe’s belly started getting a little larger, but we really thought nothing of it since she was actually trying to gain weight. But she also started having some pain and irregular bleeding, so I suggested that she take a pregnancy test. It came back negative, but I still wasn’t convinced so she made a doctors appointment just to be sure. She went and had an ultrasound and there was no baby, the IUD was still in place so we carried on and chalked it up to being over cautious. Fast forward a month and she’s feeling a bit queasy, and began having some of the other typical early pregnancy symptoms. So once again, I’m like screw this dude take another test, once again negative. Now, things just aren’t adding up to me, by this time we’ve gone through 4 pregnancy tests and an ultrasound and everything was negative. But negative just felt like the wrong answer to both of us. So I hit the net to see if the IUD could cause false negatives for home pregnancy tests and couldn’t find a DAMN thing to confirm my suspicion. By this time, Fefe’s bleeding had continued and became considerably heavier so she made another appointment last week. At that appointment she found out that she had indeed been pregnant and was having a miscarriage.
Wow, it was kind of surreal for me and saddening for Fefe. The previous two times that this occurred, we were blessed with two beautiful baby boys and although it wasn’t planned, we had a choice and our choice turned out to definitely be a blessing. But this time that choice was taken from us and the thing that angers me the most is there was no readily available information that could have helped prevent it. Had we known that the IUD could actually produce false negatives for pregnancy tests, maybe we could have had it removed and saved a life. We weren’t trying to have a child, didn’t know that Fefe was even pregnant and yet the loss still affects us. We’re both fine now and are looking towards the future, but wanted to tell this story in hopes that it will one day be able to save another couple the trouble and misfortune that we’ve endured.